Tuesday 21 August 2012

Me,Cochlear Implants and the deaf community

Cochlear Implants; does that make me deaf?
Cochlear implants spark a lot of controversy within the deaf community; some accept them, some don't and some are unsure. Some people believe that if your born deaf, then you should stay deaf, that you shouldn't have any hearing devices. Some believe that if your given the opportunity to hear, why not take it? Some feel that it takes one's deaf identity away from them.

I for one am mixed about cochlear implants, I love them because it means I can hear,speak, I can integrate with the hearing community. But I feel they take away my sense of deaf identity, that I belong in neither the hearing or deaf world, that I live in an 'in-between' world. I feel bad to call myself deaf, because I go to mainstream school,have hearing friends and live in a hearing family.

Some views shared in the deaf community::
' I really like them, I'm having my second one next year! If I didn't have them I would've been a BSL user and I would've had to communicate with my family using BSL. But now I have one I wish I knew more BSL and the frustrating thing is that I always have to avoid things.' Ellen (teen user of CI'S)

'I think CI's are amazing, they illustrate how wonderful the human brains are at adapting by turning electrical impulses into sound which we can interpret, they are one of the most amazing medical advances to date. They're not successful for everyone and aren't a 'magic fix' for deafness. They can restore hearing to a large degree if successful but CI users should still be proud of their deaf identity '  Eloise (teen user of Hearing aids)

' I highly recommend them, my son has two implants, he never used to make a sound previous to having them, but he can now successfully say clear sentences.' Amanda (Parent's perspective)

'My daughter has the best of both worlds: signing, speaking and listening to music. We don't take her implant for granted and are in awe of it.' Carol (Parents perspective)

'I think CI's are one of the major reasons of why deaf culture and language are diminishing, whilst we are  seeing more deaf schools close. I feel that children should have the option to choose whether they want to have an implant. If parents choose when their child is young, then the child has little scope to look into further options later on in life, it's difficult for a child so young to comprehend the process and what it all means. I fear for our deaf community, deaf culture and language.' Ni (Deaf teen-hearing aid user)

So to conclude CI's may impact on deaf culture, language and education. But they improve an individuals life for the better, in most cases. However CI's are not suitable for everyone and not everyone agrees with them but we're all unique and we all have different needs. CI's don't make you 'hearing' they just give you the opportunity to experience the sense of hearing. Lots of people feel the same as I do, its possible to be part of both worlds. I love my CI's, they have changed my life and they have opened up so many opportunities for me.I do however wish that I carried on signing throughout, embracing my deaf culture.


1 comment:

Lissa said...

I am a cochlear implant user myself,it came into my life when I was just ten and a half,back then it was considered late. I have always been a oral language user, I consider myself deaf since I am not involved in the deaf community at all but i wouldn't consider myself hearing because even with the implant I am mildly-moderately deaf.