Wednesday 5 December 2012

Review of "Whisper"

Whisper is one of very few stories that I could strongly relate to, it connected with me as it shared my culture, my world; my life.
It's about a 'normal' teenager,called Demi, who has her world turned upside down when she's struck down with meningitis and discovers she's profoundly deaf.

Being a teenager must be hard enough
But being a deaf teenager?

Her life is transformed:
New school
New friends
Learning a new language

I was immersed in the story from beginning to end, it was gripping and I simply couldn't put it down. It's a must read for both deaf and hearing audiences.It explores family dynamics, a girl finding her inner strength, and explores the conflict of Demi coming to terms with her "deaf identity" as she finds herself in the "in-between world" juggling the deaf and hearing worlds.

Disability or no disability, every teenager should read this book!

1 comment:

Cathy-Mae said...

Thanks for this suggestion! Needed a new book, and that sounds perfectly great to read about!